The Opposite of Accountability
“If we measure Modi’s achievement against his stated objectives on areas like black money recovery, job creation, export growth, cleaning up India’s waste, ending terrorism and counterfeiting, ending cross border firing, etc… we’d reach the conclusion that he’s a complete failure.
But if we measure his achievements through the metric of election victories, we’d reach the conclusion that he’s a genius.
I’ve been trying to figure out how this works and I’ve just realized that his starting point is almost the opposite of the one I employ when I write an fb post.
I try to avoid saying things that everyone will agree with. I don’t think there’s any point in saying something like ‘men shouldn’t rape women’ because… well… duh!
It’s not like we haven’t known about consent since the days we painted Ravana an evil demon for kidnapping Sita or Duryodhana as a depraved soul for trying to undress Draupadi.
And so I try to find something that I believe in that people will disagree with and then make a persuasive case for my point of view.
Modi sarkar almost take the very opposite starting point – they find statements that almost everybody will agree with:
– Black money is bad and something should be done
– Men shouldn’t harass women
– India is very dirty and should be cleaner
– It’s such a pity that we waste food when so many are hungry
– We should appreciate great Indian leaders
– India should modernize its infrastructure
Then they roll out an initiative with huge PR:
– Anti Romeo squads
– Swaccha Bharat
– Food portions disclosure regulation in hotels
– Massive statues
– Bullet trains
And of course each of these hare-brained ideas has huge problems
– Paralyzing the economy
– Vigilante murders of Muslims
– Swaccha Bharat can be achieved through logistics not marketing
– Pointless govt interference that the market can do without
– Huge waste of money in a poor country
– See above point
But if you criticize the stupidity involved then the government will play the nationalist or Hindutva victim card and you will hear:
– You must have lots of black money to oppose this
– So you think men should harass women or what?
– You don’t think India needs to be cleaned up
– You don’t know what it’s like to be hungry
– You don’t value great Indian leaders or what?
– You want India to remain backward and have old trains?
And because India has a very poor education system even for its most educated, people actually believe that nobody could possibly oppose these wonderful initiatives unless they were paid Congi stooges or ISI sympathisers or anti Hindus who just oppose Modi for the sake of opposing him.
They just don’t have the mental horsepower to see that every decision has both pros and cons. They are simply incapable of seeing the incredible cons because they are fed the pros by a pliant media and WhatsApp whisper campaigns. Because they are so blinded by the ‘noble end goal’ they can’t see just how stupid all these initiatives are.
And that there is no way that those initiatives will generate the results they claim to be aimed at achieving.
But that’s not a problem.
Because you don’t need to produce results in Indian politics.
You just need a thought terminating cliché and a subliminal appeal to tribal religious affiliation so that your co-religionists stop thinking.
Modi can do that.
India is suffering as a result of it.”